Sunday, 10 July 2016
Saturday morning started off not too bad but then it rained from mid morning to just after lunchtime.
We hadn't been down to the plot since last Tuesday due to one reason or another and I was a little concerned that our greenhouse tomatoes might be in desperate need of a drink. So once the rain stopped a quick trip to the plot was planned mainly to check on the tomato plants. It was still very dull with a few spits and spots of rain but felt mild.
Sue said she'd have a look to see if we had any strawberries ready, while I watered the tomatoes. It sort of mushroomed from there. The tomatoes weren't too desperate as it turned out, almost four days without watering sort of sums up our weather at the moment. It didn't take long to give the tomatoes a drink and on my way to fill up the watering can I noticed that there looked to be a good crop of strawberries (Cupid) ready to pick. These are in a different part of the plot to where Sue was picking strawberries.
Once I'd done the watering I started picking strawberries, then decided to dig a root of early potatoes (Orla), and then a couple of heads of calabrese Marathon. Sue finished picking strawberries and asked me if I'd checked to see if any raspberries were ready. The answer was no I hadn't checked but when I did there was enough for a small punnet of Tulameen and these were added to the harvest. A few early ripening blueberries were picked and we were ready for home.
Posted by Martyn Garrett at 09:53