Monday, 16 May 2022

Last Saturday became our warmest day of the year with the temperature reaching a very pleasant 24.9°C or 76.8°F. However, it turned out to be a one day wonder rather than the beginning of a heatwave.
Temperature and rainfall records May 2022

Read more....

Tuesday, 10 May 2022

Some proper rain required

It’s been quite a while since we had a proper wet day. By that, I mean enough to penetrate into the soil rather than just wet the surface. In my mind, I reckon about 10mm or a little under half an inch in a day is the amount we need. The last time that we had 10mm or more rain in one day was back on 20 February.

Wednesday, 27 April 2022

Big cover up

When I last looked a couple of days ago the forecasts didn’t suggest we would be getting any frosts over the next few days. However, I noticed this morning that had changed and a frost was now forecast for Thursday morning.

Monday, 25 April 2022

An experiment at germinating tomato seeds

I usually sow our tomato seeds at the beginning of April. This year was no different as I sowed our seeds on 08 April. We don’t have any heating at all in our greenhouse so in order to get quick germination the seeds are placed under a growlight situated in a spare room indoors.

Monday, 4 April 2022

Winter returns - gardening dilemma

We had some lovely mild sunny days towards the end of March giving us the warmest day of the year so far as the temperature reached 19.7°C or 67.5°F. However, it was just to fool us into thinking that spring had arrived as this week winter has certainly returned with cold frosty nights and snow showers by day. 

Sunday, 20 March 2022

Any Day Now

I saw reports on social media that Saturday was the warmest day of the year in the UK. That wasn’t the case for us as the temperature refused to reach 15.0°C or 59.0°F.
Temperature & Rainfall Records 2022

Read more..

Tuesday, 15 March 2022

Drying out

February was a wet and windy month, but as we approach the middle of March the weather is much improved. So far no more storms and far less rain. You can see on the chart below that we’ve had a number of rain free days this month and the temperature is beginning to lift up a little bit too. All making it feel a bit more spring like.

Temperature & Rainfall Records 12 February to 14 March 2022


Sunday, 27 February 2022

The weather turned spring like for Friday and Saturday. Storms Dudley, Eunice and Franklin brought plenty of gale force winds and plenty of rain. There’s a chance that this February could finish up as either the wettest, windiest or mildest I’ve recorded in 13 years.