Monday, 14 November 2016
Sunday morning was mild and sunny and although it clouded over in the afternoon we decided on a visit to the plot. It's been a few years now since we placed weed control fabric and wood chippings around our redcurrant bushes and the area was in need of a bit of a refurbishment so we decided to make a start on the upgrade to this area.
We also needed to harvest a few fresh vegetables. As usual I had a look around the plot to see if anything else of note was going on. I was surprised to see that some of our strawberry plants had strawberries on that looked like strawberries and that they hadn't turned to mush in the snowy weather of a few days ago.
Of course something had beaten us to eating the fruit. We have a few lettuce plants that survived the cold too. These plants were devastated by slugs in summer when the seeds were sown and they have been neglected ever since. This iceberg type lettuce looks like it might have some edible leaves to pick.
There's a few salad varieties still surviving too.
We made a start on our redcurrant patch but it will probably take us another couple of afternoons to complete the renovation.
Posted by Martyn Garrett at 11:33